If you are worried about tooth decay, there are numerous steps you can take to help protect your teeth. Because tooth decay is often caused by plaque, it is extremely important that you always keep your mouth clean and free of debris. If plaque is allowed to form in your mouth, it can create harmful acids that will chew through your tooth enamel and cause tooth decay.
To help avoid tooth decay, it is important to know how it works. For some basic information about tooth decay, we invite you to review the points below:
– Tooth decay is classified as the destruction of your tooth enamel. In order to protect your tooth enamel, it is important to avoid unhealthy substances and keep your mouth as clean as possible. You can do this by having a balanced diet and rinsing your mouth after eating.
– Because your teeth are more sensitive after eating, it is important to use alternative teeth-cleaning methods, such as rinsing with mouthwash or chewing gum, to remove debris and bacteria that can lead to tooth decay.
– If left untreated, plaque buildup can slowly wear away your tooth enamel. Thus, always make sure you keep your mouth clean throughout the day. This includes brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day.
– For additional help with your oral health care, visit our dentist for routine checkups and professional cleanings.
– If tooth decay progresses to the point that it creates a hole in your tooth enamel, you can end up eventually losing the tooth if you do not receive proper dental treatment.
With the skilled craftsmanship of Dr. Jeffrey Neal and our team at Who Does Your Teeth, we can make sure your smile thrives by providing the dental treatments you need to help prevent and remove tooth decay. To book an appointment with our dentist in Henrico, Virginia, call us at 804-447-1435.